Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Cameron Highlands Trip (Part I)

29 October 2005, Saturday--Cameron Highlands Trip (Part I)

This trip is special because this is my first overnight trip on a bike--so in a way, my virgin long trip.

So naturally, I am a little kum chiong or nervous.

Plus, this is also the first trip on my new (old bike) Fazer 1000 '04 model. I only got him only a few days ago, on 25th October, Monday. So I don't know how things will work out with this fellow. What if he breaks down half way?
I think I will nickname him Frost.

How I decided on this trip

I am on leave for 2 weeks. And I would like to go on a long distance bike trip.
I know of a few trips happening this couple of weeks. One is to Thailand. The other to the famed Gerik Highway, Malaysia. The third is to Cameron Highlands.

As I am a bit concerned that Frost might breakdown halfway, I decided to choose the nearest destination--Cameron Highlands.

Actually, it's not that a short trip. The round trip is 1,200km. Go a little further, it will be Gerik Highway. Go a little further, it will be Thailand.

Anyhow, Cameron Highlands it should be. One of the organisers is this guy called SimonSoh from SingaporeBikes.com forum. I heard much about him and know he rides a ST1100. Tours Malaysia and Thailand like no body's business. Probably knows these countries better than he knows Orchard Road, Singapore. So at least this gives me a little extra confidence over Frost.

The other organised is the guy with the forum nick RunnerTypeR whom I don't know who he is at first. Later, I will be in for a surprise.

I also learnt that I have an old friend, Mokamoka who is going for this same trip. He also rides a Fazer 1000. So I think if he can it with his Fazer, it should not be mission impossible for me on Frost.

Missed the Trip Briefing

This SimonSoh and RunnerTypeR are really organised and real pro man. They even have this pre-trip briefing on 26th October, Wednesday night. It will really be useful to a virgin sotong like me.

But wah lau eh. By the time I opened my email and learnt that there is such a briefing, the briefing was already over liao.

So like that chum liao. Got to depend on myself to prepare for the trip liao.


Preparing for the Trip

What to prepare for the trip? 3 Days 2 Nights. I also don't know man.

All I know is that as I was the last to sign up, there is not enough room. So I got to sleep in the hallway. How to prepare for sleeping in the hall?

Below is a picture of the things I packed for the trip. Picture of such barang barang also take. This shows you how kum chiong I am about the trip.


If you want to know what I packed, if you are also virgin like me, there here is the list:
  • Rain Gear (top, pants)--Must have. If not, when it rains on North South Highway, you will surely mati as a wet chicken.
  • SAF Gore Tex boots--I swear by this boots. Makes a great riding boot. Comfortable to wear riding all day, can walk around all day. Supposed to be rain resistance (to be tested later).
  • Sleeping Bag--You don't need this unless you need to sleep in the hall like me. I bought the cheapest I can get from a Army Gift Shop. Only $12.50. Don't know works or not, or I will freeze to death.
  • Cloths--Jeans, 2 sets. 1 set for riding. The other set for a fresh change and also in case I get wet from heavy rain, at least got backup. 1 bermudas, to sleep in and can also walk around outside if weather permits. Shirt, 5 sets. 3 sets for 3 days. 1 set for in case soaked by heavy rain. 1 set to sleep in. Socks, 4 sets. 1 set per day and 1 spare set in case heavy rain soaked into boots.
  • Water Bottle--Riding causes a lot of dehydration. We tend not to notice because our sweat gets dried up by the wind blast. If don't drink enough water, will get headache and all sorts of problem.
  • Toiletterie. Towel. Not sure if the hotel supply towel or not. But just bring just in case lah.
  • Tissue paper.
  • Jacket. I brought a warm jacket because Simon says the weather there can get quite cold. I scared my meshed riding jacket does not provide enough warmth. I very scared cold. So better bring. If not freeze to death.
  • Eye plugs. It will be noisy inside your helmet when you ride at 110kmh and up. After a few hours of such noise, I think I will have difficulty hearing people. Also the noise will add fatigue to your riding.
  • Riding Jacket. My one is RJays air mesh jacket. Got shoulder, elbow and spine armour. When riding that time, will not perspire like a pig. If rain, just wear rain coat over it, no need to take off.
  • Riding gloves. Must have. Later tell you why.
  • Ringgit. Cannot tell you. If not you rob me the next time.
As for the bike itself, this is what is suggested by RunnerTypeR:

"1) Check your bike for engine oil, chain, cable and tire pressure. Please service the bike if it is overdue or due soon.
2) Bring your insurance with you.
3) Bring spare key incase of misplacing.
4) Bring chain lube if your bike is chain driven. Best lube your chain heavyly a night before the trip for better penetration of chain protection.
5) Raincoat and proper attire for better road safety."

I brought insurance paper with me. I also changed engine oil and oil filter. Frost got Scott Oiler. I brought spare key. Think very important. Don't want to loose key then got bike but can't go home. The rest, I don't quite understand what was being said.

Meet Up

We are asked to meet at an unearthly hour--4.00 am at Gelang Pateh Esso Petrol Kiosk, Malaysia, 29th October, Saturday.

At this time, your mind really want to go back to sleep because normally at this time, your mind is in deep sleep. But the timing is good lah. At least don't have to ride into the night to reach Cameron.

So at this GP Esso, I met the other tour mates.
I will use the people's SBF nick. If I don't know their nick, I will use their actual names. But I will encrypt their actual name. Their actual name has an extra first character added and their last character deleted. So if my name is AhSeng. It will appear as AAhSen.
You may ask, why I so free? Why I can't just use their actual name.
Because I read that some employers very free, nothing to do and might Google a future employee's name. I don't want to spoil my tour mates job opportunity mah. Scarly, next time one of them apply for a job with one employer who has this policy of "Shall not hire anyone who rides to Cameron"and this employer go and Google. Then how?

Mokamoka-Fazer1000.
I thought I kia su got 2 big side boxes. He even worse. Got 3 boxes.
RunnerTypeR--BMW 1200LT.
His motorcycle mah jiam like elephant. Very big. You can put a HDB 5-room behind the bike's big wind screen.
Turns out RunnerTypeR is an old friend of mine. Some people don't know his name is IIva.
He last time very havock one. Play sports car one.
SimonSoh--ST1100.
He brought a partner.
TTo--ST1100.
He just bought his bike recently. Like me, also first trip on his new bike.
PPatric--ST1100.
How come everyone also ride ST?
DeusExMachina and Tarus--Super4
I met DeusExMachina (why your nick so long?) when he was (still is) riding a R1.
He got iron backside one. Can ride R1 to Cameron and Gerik Highway.
His chai is Tarus. Don't see her small small and play play. She slap your face with her Class2 license ok.
JJusti and BB--Diversion900
Later, we were to swap bikes on Gua Mesang.
BBernar and CChoonSen--each Super4
But I kow tow to this CChooSen. Unlike the rest's Super4 which got wind screen, his super4 totally got no wind screen. He must either got a very strong chest or his chest hair very thick there.
None-VFR
I got another friend who got a VFR. I think it is a very good bike that can go touring, ride around in Singapore and still play on trunk roads and track. The bike quality is superb.
MMarti and partner--Fazer6 05
His bike is the new model got underseat exhaust one.
EmptyVessel--Fazer6 04
Got so many Fazer also.
CheeTeck--Bandit 400
Actually, didn't meet him at EssoGP. We rendevous with him midway to Cameron.

Let me know if I missed out anyone.

Itinerary

Our fuel stops point:
1 - Ayer Keroh Petronas(NSHW marked at 205km) - 210km travelled.
2 - Rawang Petronas(NSHW marked at 440km) - 158km travelled.
3 - 'Exit 137(marked at NSHW 287km)' to Simpang Pulai, turn left at first T-junction to Petronas to top up before proceeding to coffee shop. - 153km travelled.


Organisers:
Runner Type R - Lead
Simon Soh - Sweeper
Emptyvessel - Junction marker
none - Marker

Riding Along NorthSouth Highway

What can I say about the ride there?
It's dam long to me loh.
Ride hour after hour. Of course, there are fuel stops along the way. But the fuel stop can be 200km away which means 2 hour of riding (our average speed is 110-120kmh).
My buttock got very little flesh. So along the way I will stop by the roadside to ease my buttock ach.

I like this group's style. It accomodates flexibility. You can ride at the speed you like. You can happy happy speed up. Or you can ride with the group at a constant pace. Or if you feel sleepy, you can just pull up along the road side, take a stretch and resume your ride.

If you don't know the way, as long as you are between the Lead and Sweeper, you will be alright.

Fazer1000 on NorthSouth

The Fazer1000 engine has a strong mid range. Once you get onto the NorthSouth, you can stay on it's highest 6th gear all the way. Baring fuel stops, the 6th gear can see you through from Singapore all the way to Thailand.

The Fazer1000 can cruise comfortably at 110kmh. If you need to overtake, with a slight twist of the throttle and without the need to drop down from 6th gear, you can accelerate to 150-160kmh.

The Fazer1000 is powerful enough for you to cruise at 150-160. But the Fazer1000 is not a dedicated tourer like a ST. So it is not as comfortable for the rider to ride at this speed for 1-2 hours.

The seat is soft and comfortable. But sitting on the softest seat for 1-2 hours can also bring backside pain.

The sitting position feels upright although it looks a bit slanted forward. But it is quite a nice balance as you will feel very comfortable cruising at 110-120kmh.

Fazer 1000 with Ermax Double Bubble Screen


I fitted a aftermarket screen. It is a double bubble screen from Ermax. It looks quite small but it works. When sitting upright, the main wind blast is directed towards the helmet. But it is directed in a way that will not cause your head to bobble around and it is not noisy. There is some slight wind feathering around the neck and shoulders. But this is not the main wind blast so it is not uncomfortable. They have the effect of providing some cooling effect. The effect of this screen is not very pronounced when it is not raining. When it is raining, its effect is very obvious.

The disadvantage of this screen is that your head is still in the main wind stream. Even though it is not noisy, if you cruise at 150-160km for one hour, it might get tiring on your neck, unless you got a very thick neck lah. So I prefer to cruise at 110-120kmh with ocasional sprints of 150-160kmh.

If you cruise as the way I do, the Fazer1000 can average around the 20km/litre range (Octane98).

Reaching Cameron Highlands

Frost near Cameron Highlands.
We did not use this exit to reach Cameron. We used Exit 137 Simpang Pulai.
Don't Leave Home Without Them:
The two saddle bags are from Hepco & Becker.
They are very strong and sturdy. Completely water proof.
Easy to dismount to bring up to your hotel and functions as your Samsonite luggage.

The Ascend Up to Cameron Highlands

It's a biking paradise.
The road is of good quality. Winds its way up to the top.
Plenty of curves. Curvy enough to provide plenty of fun for curvy carving.
But not so curvy that they are dangerous.




The Road to the Heavens.
See the smooth nice S-curves.

















I'm in Heaven...
Feels like Heaven...















If your eyes are not feasting on the smooth curves, then perhaps the lovely surrounding scenary may interest you.

I just love the sight when the sunlight breaks the shadow and cast its light onto the mountain green.





No comments: