Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Road to Gerik---(D-2), Mods

2 days before the ride to Gerik.

We have company

The merrymen (& girl) going to Gerik have now increased to 7.
The additional good company we now have are:

- SV650, Denden and Weiz85.

I think they are all riding the Suzuki SV650.
It is a naked bike with a V-twin engine.
With it's torquey engine, it should be a great bike to ride in the twisties of Gerik.
During the last trip to Belumut Forest, I heard the sweet music of their engines which rival that of Harleys.
Thump-thump-thump.

Which reminds me: Better remember to bring ear plugs when riding besides these thumping SVs.

- And Forza99.
He rides a Hornet.
Luckily he got come. If not Spectrum will be the only Hornet wait kena bullied.

Mods

While waiting for the ride to Gerik, I itchy backside and hands. I went to do some minor modifications on Frost to make it even more touring-friendly.



<= Frost backside tar kou yoke. I always thought Frost's backside is a bit plain. So now, I have slapped on some reflective stickers onto his rear. This should make Frost more visible to the truckers prowling the trunk roads.








The reflective strips reflecting =>

These strips are not the normal reflective strips. They are 3M s with small little hexagons on them. More hardy and more reflective.
Available at the shop selling reflective tapes, at the Ubi area, along the road of the TP HQ.

They don't come like that.
They are sold as seperate white colour and blue colour strips.


After cracking my head for a long time to think of what design to put, I finally came up with the oh so imaginative checkered blue-and-white design.

Then I have to measure and cut them into little squares myself.
It should be counted as amongst the greatest feat of precision engineering by mankind.





The next mod I have added is a compass =>

See the little round bubble sitting on top of my brake fluid reservoir?

It looks cute, but this little fella actually works.

It is mounted on velcro. So it is detacheable.

I wanted a compass to tell me which direction I am heading, especially during mid-day period where the sun is shining directly overhead.

Sometimes, when exploring the trunk roads and little paths, we get momemtarily disoriented (short form is lost). So we need to know which direction the path is heading.

Ya lah, I know nowadays advanced liao, got GPS-tracking-system combined with maps.
Spectrum got one. And for the last trip to Belumut, there were as many as 3 bikes with GPS in the convoy.
But I like to ride like a taxi-driver. Use my road sense and manual topo.



<= That location for the compass is not anyhow hatum one, ok?

It is selected very carefully.

It is as near the eye level as possible. Yet it stays out of the windblast area.

If not while riding NorthSouth highway, wait people see "Something round dropped out from the motorbike and bounced onto the road. I think it could be the rider's eyeball."


This small little compass is available at Autobacs, Bukit Batok.
My original idea cannot be implemented because I cannot find the space to mount it:
I wanted to mount a Silva Compass on Frost.



<= Another mod is I have put on a Singapore badge onto my RJays air-mesh jacket.

Swee boh?

I thought when take pictue that time, it would help to make me look more cool. Hiao hor?

I copied that idea from Chiyen. The badge comes with velcro. So it is detachable.



I bought this Singapore badge from any Army Gift shop within a Singapore army base.
When I was paying for this badge, the auntie at the cashier, smiled at me and asked me:
"You going to Java to help out, is it?"

No comments: