Sunday, May 28, 2006

The Road to Gerik---Pre-Ride

The Road to Gerik --- Pre-Ride


The stage is set. The game is on.
We are planning a ride to Gerik, Malaysia.
Set off on 2nd June, Friday morning 8.30am. Return on 4th June, Sunday.

How come so many days?
Because Gerik is freaking far.
Our ride will take us to a whiskers away from the Thail-Malaysia border.

Attached is agar-agar the general route that we will take.
Blue is the main route.
Red is the alternate route.



Please excuse me that it is a bit jagged. I manually trace the route with my hand.
Maybe because for lunch, I just had some phoenix claw (chicken claw).

Why go Gerik?

Why I jia par boh sai pang? Too free is it?
Ride so far for what? What is there to see at Gerik?

I am told Gerik got nothing much to see.
But you see, Gerik to motorcycling is like this:

It is like Disneyland to childern;
Like Paris Eiffel tower to women;
Like Thai-girl show to army boys.

It is the nirvana of motorcycling;
The mecca;
The holy grail.
It is the wet dream of every motorcycling enthusiat to ride the route along Gerik.

Who going?

So far, my partner in crime lah: Spectrum.
Also Devilchild, lady Fireblade.

We still seeing who else is so mad to want to go.

The ride is more suitable only to those experienced riders.
Why leh?

Have you tried riding around the circumference of Singapore?
That is, ride AYE-KJE-BKE-SLE-TPE-ECP and back to AYE.
The total distance is about 80km.

I estimate the distance we would be taking for this Gerik trip is about 2,500km.
That is like riding around Singapore 30 times!

The last thing you want is to break down (touch wood!) somewhere in the middle of the mountains around Gerik.
There no matter how your Or-yee-or like Tarzan, also no one can come and rescue.

Because I heard the road there is quite deserted one.
That's why it makes for great motorcycling ride.
But if you kena stuck there, then good luck man!
The nearest civilization is further than one end of Singapore to the other.

That's why I also a bit worried.
I really scared my Frost break down in the middle of the ride (touch wood!).
In Singapore, if break down, just take out mobile phone and call towing service.
There, if break down, I think the towing service will arrive in about a couple of days.

Because I kia-see and kia-su, I better start preparing my bike for the nong nong ride.


Pre-Ride Preparation

I top up my Scott Oiler to the brim lor.
I don't want to spoil my Nirvana dream with a squeaky chain.

What else to do leh?

- Brake system. Good.

- Tires. My Bridgestone BT-020 tires are still pretty new and in very good condition.

- Engine. Frost's heart is in very good health.
Recently I just sent for regular servicing.
I prefer not to send the bike in just before a major major trip in case suay suay the mechanic forget to put something back properly.

- Clutch.
Nothing much to do.
But ANRImpex helped to lubricate the inside of my clutch cable.
He detached the clutch cable from the clutch level and then drip his lubricant onto the clutch cable. The lubricant will flow down the inside of the clutch cable cover.
It is a simple thing (at least according to him), but it does wonders.
Now everytime I pull my clutch when changing gear, I can feel it is even smoother and more siok.

Then really, at this point in time, I can't think of anything else to do.

Because Frost is already fully-equipped for touring.
It's got its twin Hepco & Becker hard panniers.
It's got an Ermax windscreen.

And this Yamaha Fazer 1000 (2003 model, caburetor) has been very reliable so far.
Nothing had gone wrong in my 6 months with Frost and taking Frost to all my past tours.
So hopefully, Frost will keep up his good work. If not I liao.

Maybe other things to do will be to ask those people who had been Gerik before what are the better routes to ride. Where to stay? Where to makan? What to be careful of?

I promise to take many photos and tell you about this exciting adventure.

Arr, I just thought of another thing to do. Better go temple pray pray a bit for good weather.

No comments: